Did you know last year 30% of EBS households claims were for burst pipes and 12% were for storm related damage*.
*Source: Allianz p.l.c September 2013
†Source: Irish Insurance Federation
Remember- if a storm is forecast...
- Secure all doors, gates and windows.
- Put away any unsecured items that are in your garden.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Check torches and batteries are working.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
In times of flooding, provided it is safe to do so, take the following precautions:
- Unplug all electrical appliances and turn off electrical power.
- Move possessions upstairs or stack them safely.
- Place sandbags at doors.
- Turn off water supplies at the mains.
If your home is at risk of flooding, consider flood protection products that can help stop flood damage to your home and belongings. These products (like sandbags or floodboards) help by:
- Preventing water from entering your property
- Slowing down the rate at which water enters your property
- Reducing damage to walls, floors, fixtures and fittings
- Making the clean- up process easier and faster
Dealing with frozen pipes:
If you find you've got no water it's worth checking with your neighbours first to see if they're experiencing the same problem as there might be an incident such as a burst water pipe that has affected water supplies in your area. Damage to pipes occurs when they become frozen, but you're only going to notice when the water in the pipes thaws. Therefore, if a pipe is frozen isolate the affected area by closing your stop tap/ valve. When your pipes begin to thaw, run your taps into sink basins and baths to drain the plumbing system. This should reduce damage caused by water escaping from a burst pipe. Once the plumbing has thawed and there's no leaks, stop running the taps and slowly open the stop tap/ valve.
EBS Home Insurance is brought to you by EBS d.a.c. and is solely underwritten by Allianz p.l.c
WARNING: YOU MUST KEEP UP WITH YOUR PAYMENTS TO STAY ON COVER.
Standard acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. A policy document including the full terms and conditions of EBS Home Insurance is available on request. Allianz p.l.c is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.